Monday, May 9, 2016

Demonic Obedience Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording of the new album?



The new album is progressing quite quickly, as is reflects a purer example of what Demonic Obedience is all about, and embodies a more mature and explored vision that I have for this project. Thus fair I've received amazing feedback and support from fans world wide. Satanath and Sevared Records are fantastic, I couldn't ask for better promotion or support for this album.  Recordings have commenced  for the third album and is scheduled for release in early 2017.



2.You have a new album coming out in May, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?



The sound of 'Nocturnal Hymns...'  is aggressively macabre just like the début album.  Expect tons of distorted guitar solos. The drum beats are beyond berserk and much more progressive in comparison to the prior album.

Both albums have the same tonality, however  'Morbid supremacy of evil' tends to be more atmospheric. ‘’Nocturnal Hymns...’’ is truer to the sound of old school Death Metal, as it faster and very brutal.



3.Can you tell us a little bit more about the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your newer music?



To be fair, I cannot take responsibly for the lyrics. My friend Alex is a lyrical genius, so he wrote the lyrics for the first album as with this one.  Most of the tracks tell hideous stories that take place within the human psyche  that wander in fantasy realms. In general I could describe the lyrical theme as a ghastly trip into darkness.



4.Originally the project was called 'The Deepest' what was the cause of the name change and also the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Demonic Obedience'?



I started this project with my good friend George from As I Suffer Silently. The main concept back in the day was to write some extreme music with  lyrical themes that portray the intern turmoils of ones mentality. Then I decided to move to Scotland, unfortunately George couldn't follow so the project took a dramatic change, from an extreme metal band (The Deepest) to the old school Death Metal beast that it is today. Also the lyrics, as I previously stated, are centred with more fantastical sombre issues.  After a discussion with Alex, we agreed that Demonic Obedience  would expressively sum the dark matter of this project .



5.With this project you record everything by yourself but have also had experience working in full time bands, do you feel you have more room to be creative with this project?



Demonic Obedience is something really personal for me. I wouldn't mind having some live members but as for the composition of the music it's something that I want to do on my own. It's the way to express my feelings. And of course, I can be as creative and experimental as I want without having to explain anything to anyone.



6.Originally you where located in Greece but now have re-located to Scotland, what was the decision behind the move and also how would you compare both of the countries?



You see, nowadays,  things are really bad back in Greece, as its economy is on decline.  There are protests every day about taxes and the politics in general. People are fed up with all that bullshit, man. So, as you can imagine, moving to another country was the only solution if I wanted to do something in my life. As for Scotland, so far so good. I mean, I am living 3 years now here and I haven't faced any serious problems so far. I made the right decision by moving here. I've noticed that my music is flourishing perhaps I feel a greater sense of freedom to be creative without being bogged down by a  negative environment.









7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black and death metal?



Compared to the first album, for which I didn't get any promotion, 'Nocturnal Hymns' is going great!, Every day I am reading reviews from webzines from all over the world, I'm amazed at the recognition I'm receiving  . Both the record labels, as I said before, are doing a brilliant job thus far. I am also getting supportive messages from fans from Asia to South America. I'm awestruck.



8.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you are a part of?



Unfortunately other than Demonic Obedience, nothing major. Varzenigan are no longer active because the singer and the bassist had to move to other countries and As I Suffer Silently are in hibernation,  for now. I've started working on a new black thrash project, so fingers crossed we will record a demo soon. Other than that, I have a Heavy metal due with a friend and we are really close to finalizing the recordings for our first album.



9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?



I have no idea, haha.  Ideally I would love to make a career out of it. But you see I'm a self taught musician so I'm doing what I'm doing first of all as a fan of Death Metal and Metal in general and secondly as my passion. So, I suppose that as long as I am having some riffs on my head, I will continue writing music and we will see how it will go.



10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



I was, I am and I will be stuck to old school Metal. It doesn't matter which genre as long as it is pure classic stuff. Also, I like the newer bands that keep with the old school vibes alive. This is exactly  what I am trying to achieve with my own projects. I don't think that I am listening to something specific nowadays to be honest. A little bit of everything related to metal, I suppose.



11.Does Satanism or Occultism play any role in your music?



I like occult themes, as they are the foundation that the majority of Metal music bases their inspiration upon. I'm not practising in any religion, nor do I partake in occultism, it's just theatrical influence. Death Metal is an obscure genre of Metal that focuses on depth and emotion, it doesn't matter what the subject matter is, as long as it conveys raw emotion.  Demonic is about being anger, ministry and human suffering. So it makes sense for me to have occultist tones.  I also like the demonic stories of the eastern cultures and this is how I got the inspiration to write 'Three Headed God'.



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



First of all, thank you very much for this interview and your time. I hope that you will like 'Nocturnal Hymns' and I cannot wait for people's feedback. Also I would like to thank the fans of Demonic for their support and their messages so far. Keep tuned guys and you won't be disappointed!!!

Bandcamp
Facebook
ReverbNation


No comments:

Post a Comment